Since the entertainment industry shut down of March 2020, over 12 MILLION event professionals and artists have been out of work in an industry estimated at generating close to $1-trillion in revenue per year. Due to public health concerns, live events will likely not return until sometime next year, and key legislation and aid is on the back burner as venues, employees, and artists fight to survive.
Tonight, on September 1, 2020, the Academy Center of the Arts is joining in the #RedAlertRESTART from #WeMakeEvents, a coalition of trade bodies, businesses, unions, and live events workers, to light up our venue in red and raise public and media awareness in support of the live events sector. With this, we hope to shine a light on the dire situation our industry finds ourselves in and to spread awareness on how YOU can help save the entertainment venues you love.
A few facts:
- Live events employ over 12 million people
- Live events contribute over $1 trillion annually to the US economy
- 95% of live events have been cancelled due to COVID-19
- 96% of companies have cut staff and/or wages
- 77% of people in the live events industry have lost 100% of their income, including 97% of 1099 workers
Take action today by visiting wemakeevents.org