“We are ringing in 2016 with a high volume of performing arts activity,” said Academy Executive Director Geoffrey Kershner. “We feel this is a great sampling of the type of activity we hope to continue to host moving into the future.”
The Academy is also excited to introduce a new 10 for 10 discount card. This card gets you ten percent off our designated “10 for 10” events through this winter and spring. The card is only $10 and a great way to save money on your ticket purchases. (January 10 for 10 events below are designated with a *)
For more information call us at 434-846-TIXX (8499) or email us at email@example.com
For tickets to any of the following visit our ticketing page.
- The Academy presents *The Breakfast Club: Dinner and a Movie- Friday, January 8, 7pm. Scott Cardwell (formally Bull Branch) returns to the Academy for our second “Dinner and a Movie” event. This time we will return to the 80s with the John Hughes 1985 classic, The Breakfast Club. The menu and cocktails will be Scott’s take on “breakfast for dinner” and we will have fun transforming the venue into a “high school experience.” Menu: Shakshuka, Chilaquiles, French Toast, Smoked Salmon and Ham Biscuits are among many of the world breakfast offerings. We’ll also offer our own take on classic Brunch Cocktails such as Mimosas & Bloodys as well as do some twisting on 80s classic cocktails like WooWoos, Lemon Drops and Lesbian Fizzes. Great local beer and vino as well. Tickets: $35 (includes food) *Cash bar
- The Academy & WLNI present Live From Lynchburg Town– Sunday, January, 10, 2pm. Enjoy live music and storytelling. It’s a show your entire family will enjoy, recorded in front of the live audience at the Academy, and broadcast on WLNI 105.9 FM. Tickets: $10.
- The Academy & Amherst County Habitat for Humanity present– “Working on a Building” Bluegrass Concert- Saturday, January 16, 5pm This is an annual concert fundraiser is a five hour concert event that features five bluegrass bands and raises funds for Amherst Habitat for Humanity and their programs. The musical line up represents a wide range of musicians from all over the region: The Deer Creek Boys from Amherst, Shaky Grass from Appomattox, James River Cut Ups from Shipman, Little Mountain Boys from Piney River, and Deep Blue Express with members from Monroe, Madison Heights, Appomattox, and Rustburg. Tickets: $10 kids (under 12), $15 students, and $20 adults (*Tickets not sold through the Academy Box Office but call for information)
- The Academy presents *American Shakespeare Center’s Julius Caesar – Sunday, January. 17, 7:30pm. Profoundly moving, breathtaking, and deeply human. Shakespeare shows us a world on fire; turned upside down; a world where some of history’s most famous men commit horrific crimes in the name of patriotism and honor. Julius Caesar is a dazzling thrill ride of betrayal, violence, and perhaps most surprisingly- love. Tickets: $18-$30
- The Academy’s *Indie Music Series featuring Julianna Barwick–Friday, January 22, 8pm. The Academy is excited to bring Julianna Barwick to the Warehouse Theatre. Barwick’s music is built around multiple loops and layers of her etherial voice. Barwick, who credits a rural, church choir upbringing for her sound, begins most tracks with a single phrase or refrain, then uses a loop station and the occasional piano or percussive instrument to build the song into a swirling mass of lush, ambient folk. Opening for Julianna are asentimentalsong and Lloyd Harmon. Tickets: $10 advance, $12 at the door
- The Academy and Opera on the James present *Hansel and Gretel – January 29-31. 90-minute family opera based on the classic fairy-tale! This wonderful take on the beloved Brothers Grimm fairy tale will be appealing to audiences of all ages. Watch the famous siblings get lost in the woods, battle the ravenous Witch, and find their way home. Tickets: $8 Children / $10 Adults
Academy’s programming is made possible in part by: Baird Private Wealth Management, Centra, BWXT Technologies, Moore & Giles, Jamerson-Lewis Construction, Access Advisors, Areva, and Discover Lynchburg.