Position: Technical Director
Reports To: Production Manager
Status: Full Time – Exempt
Schedule: Mon-Fri 9AM-5PM; some nights, weekends and holidays required
The Technical Director directs and implements all technical aspects of programming and events for the organization and supervises personnel assisting with these programs/events ensuring the highest professional production values.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Production Manager executes technical needs for the Academy Center of the Arts, coordinating with other staff members on theatre productions and other events or meetings.
- Works with the Technical Specialist to prepare, set-up and run technical needs for productions and events. Including rigging, lighting, sound, AV and scenery.
- Responsible for the technical aspects of all theatre facilities including: managing the backstage and supervising technical crews during all performances.
- Is the Stage manager for events and performances ensuring that all production needs are met for each performance/event and fills out and submits event reports at the conclusion of each performance/event.
- The ability to run lighting and sound equipment and fill in for various other production roles for productions and events as needed.
- Plan, design, execute, and supervise construction of all sets, lights, and other materials/ equipment required for Academy productions.
- Develop and monitor budgets for sets, sound, lighting, props, and related equipment and supplies required for Academy productions.
- Plan, organize, train, and direct the work of volunteers participating in the technical side of productions; supervise volunteers.
- The ability to a run a theatrical line set-system; including loading weight.
- Maintains all theatrical systems in good and operating condition including stage, rigging, lighting, sound, AV, tools, and other equipment.
- Helps to instill a culture of safe and best work practices
- Attends production and department meetings as needed
- Ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Inspect and recommend necessary repairs and maintenance to the Production Manager.
- Plan for future technical needs and report them to the Production Manager.
- Works as a team member in a collaborative environment and conducting and presenting themselves in a professional manner consistent with the mission, vision, and values of the Academy Center of the Arts.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Tabitha Abbott, Director of Operations via email at TAbbott@academycenter.org.